Wednesday 29 June 2011

Sunday's heat wave

The wave drought finally broke last week when we enjoyed a heat wave 'of sorts' with temps reaching a staggering 26 degrees in parts of Wales ;0

Not only did we have blue sky and sunshine but also a light cross offshore SE wind and solid ground swell, nudging 4ft on sets with a 10 sec wave period making all the difference.

Everywhere was heaving and Sker was no exception but I found a nice peak and tried to stay on it picking off decent rights whenever they came through.

I was on my OP 6'6 single fin which was a bit weird as I've not ridden it in more than a year as I've been surfing my 'ickle 5'10" Firewire Quad (being repaired)but I managed to hang onto a few and got some fairly long rides. It's a great board to paddle though and got me into a few peachy waves nice and early.

I did however find it very stiff and dug far too many rails, in my quest to hack into some lips. I guess I'll have to persevere with it a bit more as it's a beautiful board to ride once you find the sweet spot.

Had a quick chat with Eliot Dudley about boards, always nice to meet someone else with an interest and he showed him a sweet looking Pavel quad fish he'd picked up in the states. Elliot had just won the Welsh Nationals longboard at Llantwit on the saturday so well done him and hope he's enjoying life out west in Newgale.

Bumped into a few more WCSC associates out back who all seemed to be enjoying the swell and although a bit more crowded than normal, everyone was spread out and well behaved.

I did however get assassinated by an old boy on a long longboard who not only dropped in on me badly, but then proceeded to kick out badly, sending his board straight towards my head causing an emergency bail and wasted wave. It was a beauty too :(

Next few days were small and clean but we're locked into high pressure now so flatness will ensue for the rest of the week and weekend but at least most of us scored on Sunday - it's amazing how just one decent swell can cheer us all up after months of flatness & onshore slop.

And finally...Sven (a surf buddy of mine) and Mads are now the proud parents of a baby boy named 'Raphael Beau Attridge' who weighed in at 9lbs and flew out in about 4hrs so well done guys! x

No comments:

Post a Comment