Sunday 10 May 2009

Robin Hood - men in tights

Wanted: Physically fit men, aged 18-60yrs



The day of the Robin Hood auditions dawned and I got up early and headed down to Pembs.

I was meeting up with a couple of friends - carlos and dusty and we arrived at the location 30 mins ahead of time to find around 200 people had already beaten us to it.

We queued for around an hour before we eventually squeezed in through the door to join another queue and fill in the all important forms.

The form included a section where we could list any 'extra skills' we had.
This included: archery, sword fighting/fencing and professional stunt training/combat!

I figured that all the hours spent shooting arrows at cardboard boxes with an old archery kit in my garden would hold me in good stead as an archer, so I ticked. I figured it would also put me into the 'outlaw category' where I'd feel more at home. ;)

Some of the guys there were ticking all three boxes so it will be interesting to see how they filter out the wheat from the chaff, although 'chav' would be a more accurate description in some cases...

A handful of hopefuls had gone the whole hog and dressed up in character.

I spotted a few Robin Hood/outlaw types, some knights and some pretty strange types who I'm convinced dress like that normally and live in Narbeth...

This guy wandered past, looking like he was just back from the crusades:


Once inside, we were measured up - chest and waist, and of course I protested at the measurement - 34.5" waist?!

Carlos, standing in the queue opposite found this highly amusing until he discovered that he'd come in at a gut busting, 35"...But as we all know, soldiers come in all shapes and sizes and there's no been no mention yet, as to who will play 'Friar Tuck'.

The nice lady then informed me that this was a 'medieval measurement' taken from higher up the waist than normal, so if we're picked, I've a feeling we'll be wearing Simon Cowell trousers on set.

After that we had a quick mug shot taken. We even got to hold up a piece of paper with our number on it and I began to realise how Hugh Grant must've felt.

As we left, the queue outside had swelled to around 800 people and it was still only 10.20am. The auditions were due to last until 3pm so I think the organisers were in for a busy day.

Now, we just have to wait and see if we're one of the 'chosen' 600 extras needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment