Tuesday 14 July 2009

Flotsam and jetsam

A perfectly formed piece of twisted twine I found and photographed on a beach at low tide:

I was sat thinking about all the things I've seen, over the years in various oceans drifting past me as I sit waiting for a wave...

It's a funny old expression so I googled it and this is what arrived:

“Flotsam,” goods found floating on the sea after a a wreck.
“Jetson,” or Jetsam, things thrown out of a ship to lighten it. (Anglo-Saxon, flotan, to float; French, jeter, to throw out.)

I've seen dead animals - cows, sheep, a baby dolphin, a minke whale, a dog, various jellyfish in all shapes and sizes..

beer barrels, crates, rope, fishing lines, wood in all shapes and sizes, plastics, flip flops, sunscreen bottles, car seats, toilet lids...

It never fails to amaze me what people throw away and throw overboard from ships.

Seen anything weird floating out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment