Friday 13 August 2010

Krazeeee cameras

Rasta destroying one of his many boards in the name of art. Nice if you don't have to pay for boards. If you've ever wondered how you mount a 16mm camera on board, here's how:

Board Cam Mount- Surf Sufficient

I plumped for the cheaper option and bought a Go-Pro. I've had some nice results so far but found that the front mount and wide angled (almost fish eye) lens made everything look like it was two foot. I needed to film from higher up...I think?

I decided rather than buy multiple mounts for my various shaped boards I'd try and get a head mount for it. With my birthday looming I whacked it on my list and hey presto, I got one courtesy of lovely wife :)

Yes, I'll look like a complete tool (nothing new there I hear you cry!) paddling around like a cyborg but I should be able to get some pretty funky angles and footage for your viewing pleasure - all 4 followers of you out there ;)

I've always wanted to try and capture the feeling you get when taking off late on a steep wave - one of my favourite things to do in surfing.

I love the feeling you get, free falling late in the lip and making the drop, but it's really hard to try and capture the action.

Me, going a tad late on my old mandala quad over a lovely reef in Feurteventura a few years ago. Pic by Dangerous Dave:



With a front mount, you generally just get mountains of white water everywhere which obscures everything until you drive out onto clean, open wave face.

The other drawback is not getting friends waves when they score nice rides - it does happen from time to time! ;0

I generally have to line myself up inside of their flight path and paddle towards the shoulder as they approach so only ever get a small section of the ride and it's been a bit hit and miss so far...

So I'm hoping I'll get footage on a par with this at some point:


This new head mount should mean I can film them from behind or in front (if I drop in and look back!), so especially good for party waves :)

Now all we need are some waves. This summer has been truly dire since about April with only a couple of decent short lived swells.

Two sessions on Gower reef have been my only real joy all summer and memories of those are fading fast.

The rest has been drivel. Roll on Autumn!

No comments:

Post a Comment