Monday 22 August 2011

Weekend waves

Saturday was a pleasant surprise. Gave Merchant his early morning wake up call at 8am and suggested a dip at Rest Bay. The winds were onshore but light and there was a medium swell running.

Nath had had a few beers the night before and was already talking about it being a tricky paddle out so the warning signs were there! ;)

We paddled out and I lost Nath about halfway out last seen going the wrong way over towards the headland ;) I carried on and was pleased to see a few clean faces jacking up and landing in front me.

I noticed a few guys sat further out - Adrian etc so went a bit further and took my spot out back. The waves although crumbly in a light wsw breeze had plenty of power and were 3-4ft. Nath ended up at Coney for some reason but caught a few apparently.

As the tide pushed, the waves improved and within an hour the wind had swung dropped to a very light cross offshore - result!

I bumped into the Greek lads out back and the crowd filled slightly but the vibe was good with plenty of good rights coming through and some nice high speed bowling sections to carve off.

a set appeared and I could see two lads to my left with priority but looking too deep to ever catch me up so off I went. I checked to my left just in case they made it and saw the nearest surfer fall on bottom turn so I had a clear run.

I had a nice long right, kicked out and paddled back only to find the other surfer staring at me?

He continued to paddle, stop, turn around and stare at me as he made his way back to the line up. I found the whole thing a bit bizarre? What was I meant to do, not go just because he'd attempted a wave and fallen off?! To give you an idea of how far away I was, I kicked out about 40-50 feet away from him!

I paddled back to my slot determined not to let it ruin a good surf and took off on a nice wave only to find the same guy doing his best to get in the way as he paddled back out - making no effort to move so I took the drop, steering away from him and continued on my way.

As I paddled out the same guy took off and the deliberately rode straight for me narrowly missing me as I paddled up and out of the way and over the wave.

I took a deep breath and let it go as I know the other guy in question is a local surfer and I didn't really want to start a 'tit for tat' campaign which would ultimately only end in confrontation or someone getting injured. Be the better man etc...

That was it really, I caught a few more and called it a day. Thoroughly surprising session only slightly soured by the actions of another surfer.

A shame as we don't this kind of behaviour at Rest Bay - save it for Hawaii!

Sunday delivered more waves but smaller and onshore with a stronger w wind. I opted for a quick surf at sker and met up with harv & co so some fun 2-3ft mush burgers. The waves did improve and the sun came out so not a bad hour or so paddling for everything that came my way.



No comments:

Post a Comment