Monday 1 March 2010

Kong's Island

Apologies about the clip quality but it was an overcast day and my battery life died as I arrived at the break

It's a stunning spot though, one of the most scenic on Gower in my humble opinion.

I won't say exactly where this spot is though as it's a fairly quiet one compared to some!

Having said that about 15 guys turned up! not long after I got my 2nd wave but you can see some nice lines out there just before the end.

Kong's Island from wounded gull on Vimeo.



We ended up getting out as the waves were few and far between and hit some of the more popular spots to find cars and vans parked in every side road, ditch and farmers lay by going.

It was absolute carnage and I was a little disappointed at having taken a days leave mid week to find hoards of people with the same idea!

All was not lost though as we ventured to one of the lesser surfed, breaks and found it fairly quiet. Within half an hour we had it to ourselves with 3 of us sharing the backlit hollow, peaks.

The sun made an appearance and we shared nice 4ft clean waves for the next 1.5hrs. I had one or two screamers that definitely made up for our earlier escapade.

Aggers was picking off some nice long rights and Larry had a couple of stylish take offs.

He must've back doored one, as I was going late but had to pull back sharply when the old boy flew out of nowhere to claim it! ;) I'm still not sure how he did that?...must be that 7ft gun he rides!

I'd been thinking about trying the peak further over which is always ridiculously hollow and so I'd assumed was stupidly shallow, as I'd never seen anyone surfing it? Every now and again some would hold up and barrel down the line rather than a bowling up into a hideous close out.

The rip was as strong as ever when the tide turns, but I kept my head down and eventually got over to the peak where we'd seen some stunning looking cylinders.

Just as I arrived a set pushed through. Larry behind me, hooted and off I went.

I took a late drop down, (so far so good) bottom turned hard and went flying on down into a lovely curved speed bowl at warp speed, blasted one of the top and was looking ahead for my exit... but realised it might just hold up so stomped my way down through to the inside section.

Still it kept going.... I whacked another big carve, showering some guys up on the cliff top watching ;) and back down again and I had so much speed my heavy old bonzer got air as I flew out and over the shoulder.

Big grins all round - a super long ride at 'warp factor 5 Sulu'! So, I've named it 'Spocks'.

Maybe it has another name but I've never ever seen anyone ride that peak before. The locals don't seem to touch it. I'll definitely be giving it another go next time. This is just the beginning....

No comments:

Post a Comment