Monday 19 October 2009

Kong's island



A recent jaunt to a remote Gower reef. Photos courtesy of lensman, Bic.

It's a long old hike, followed by a steep climb down and a nice shallow set up. Amazing scenery though! I was joined by Mike and Harv on this trip.

As we neared the cliffs my heart sank...Nice clean swell lines but no real size. The tides were big, 12m+ and high pressure was pushing in rapidly.

We sat down and prayed to Huey to deliver us from evil...


The waves were unfortunately very small. Last time I surfed it, I had my ass handed back to me on a plate on more than one occasion so I was expecting more of the same.

I'd been telling Harv all about the steep sucky take off's and hollow heaving pits breaking over the slab for those daring enough to go deep.

'Sharing one' with mike 'laid back larry':


We waited and waited for the big tide to race back but as it did, it took the swell with it and we were left with at times dry reef and a 2ft+ wave on sets.

Pig dogging my way into a minuscule cover up:


I'd taken my single fin as I was expecting some gut wrenching drops into 'gaping pits of doom' so was a little over gunned for this particular day but it paddled into waves nicely.

Generating a wee bit of spray:


Getting a wave was one thing. Staying with it and getting a turn out of it was another but I gave it my best shot.

The long hike home:


All pics by Mark 'Bic' Evans

No comments:

Post a Comment