Monday 1 November 2010

Leg cramps


"Cramps are often caused by a lack of potassium, resulting in an electrolytic imbalance. Strenuous exercise with sweating and diarrhea or other bowel disease may cause loss of potassium and other important minerals. It is very important to replace them with supplements. Some people get leg cramps at night for no apparent reason. This is called restless legs syndrome." Health 911


I've never suffered with leg cramp whilst surfing before. BOLLOX - That's a complete lie as I have, but not on a regular basis and we've all suffered from cramping up during a long cold winter session now, haven't we?

But I've been getting them a lot this year. I've no idea why - but perhaps it's down to the fact that I'm not in winter rubber yet and my summer suit is too thin or maybe I'm just lacking some vital nutrient? I eat well enough though...

I drink plenty of milk and have been a cereal addict since a young age and rarely visit the dentist although I probably should - so calcium deficiency isn't a problem.

My better half has suggested 'magnesium tablets' so I'll try them this month starting today and see how I get on.

There's nothing worse than cramping up, just as you stand up on a nice wave and feel like you've been shot as that shooting pain grinds up your leg. You fall off without an ounce of finesse, clutching your contorted leg and try to straighten it as best you can whilst floundering your way in until the sand below gives some relief.

Yesterday I ended up getting out and running up and down the beach. I felt particularly stupid as on the opposite side to me were 3 lads doing athletics training and we kept passing each other - me in a full wetsuit and them in shorts and vests!

But you know when you've had a bad cramp as your leg still feels cramped the following day/s (like mine does right now). Leg cramp is becoming my own personal man flu ;0

I even tried the old pre-surf isotonic drinkies yesterday but to no joy. One thing I didn't do was stretch as I was too busy gassing away to blods but I don't think that would've made much difference as I normally stretch religiously and still cramp up after a couple of hours surfing.

Perhaps the snickers bar cancelled it out?

No comments:

Post a Comment