Monday 15 November 2010

Cold winds blow

Not bad a weekend all things considered!

The wind was howling on Saturday morning so I took a rare dip at Coney and was pleasantly surprised. I've slagged this spot off over the years (as has just about everyone) but like a faithful old dog - she sometimes delivers!

It was wasn't epic but it was fun and for once, the odd wave held up allowing for a few moves. The waves were in the 3-4ft region with a nice fast, steep drop followed by a wallowing middle section ending in a fast bashable shorey on the inside.

Claire turned up and took a few pics so cheers for that. Check out that backdrop!
The first hour was a lot of fun as Aran and I shared a few rights. One thing I did notice was the water temp but I'd opted to wear winter boots for the first time and it made a big difference.

After that it began to get a little more crowded and the longboarders arrived sitting deep and snagging all the nice ones early.

I was gagging to get one in before my fond memories of Coney faded and finally spotted a cheeky right. I paddled and was suddenly joined by a long haired blonde grom prob in his early teens.

The wave was a right, I was going for it and was not in the mood to be hassled by some young punk! I shouted and he gave me some garbled back chat at which point I lost my rag slightly and told him where to go as I jumped to my feet. Luckily this was my last wave in or I'd probably have paddled back out and throttled him! ;0

I had a quick chat with Claire Beach who was taking snaps on the beach and she confirmed that said grom and his posse were local gobshites who thought they owned all the beaches, so I'll be keeping an eye out for them in future and 'burning them' at every opportunity until they learn some respect! ;0

Funnily enough I mentioned it in passing to Malc and Aggers the following day, at which point they both errupted in laughter and said "yeah, we call them the WQS as they think they're something special!" LOL

A different kind of floater at Coney...

Sunday was lovely. The wind had dropped to practically nothing - just a whisper of a Northerly wind. I got on it early and was in the water by 8am still thinking about wearing my winter suit...I decided not to as I wanted a good surf and it was the right decision.

Every now and again I have a surf where I feel like I'm actually surfing well. Most f the time I'm prob only 70% satisfied but Sunday was a def 90% after my first 3 waves.

There were only a handful of guys in - I saw Malc and Guto a bit further down but the middle peak was practically empty. Glassy faces jacked up delivering steep 4ft set waves.

I stroked into my first wave, just about clung on to a very drop and went screaming along, smacking the lip and sending plenty of spray towards the heavens. I however went in the opposite direction but it felt good!

I paddled out and caught 2 consecutive waves, both a good size and holding up nicely :) As the tide pushed, it went a bit deep so I paddled inside and found a super bank all to myself.

It was at this point that I took a few beatings as the wave turned into a bit of an angry mutant, contorting this way and that. I copped a board in the head and was ragged dolled a few times for my troubles but that's half the fun - right?!

But the drops were steep and fun and I snagged some lovely short, bowling rights curving into the gold course.

Rest then went into overdrive and stepped up a gear delivering 4ft+ and clean sets?!

The crowd grew but there were waves breaking everywhere! I saw Aggers catch a few and crossed paths with Malc again on the inside - he's off to California shortly - lucky bugger!

The cold was setting in after 1.5hrs surfing, so I caught one more nice left, whacked the lip and called it a day - done and dusted by 9.30am :)

The wave cleaned up even more later apparently but I'd had my fill. Looking nice again today with clean 2-3ft fast and hollow walls unloading at mid tide.

The wind is still light offshore and there were only 4 in when I checked with Fin at 8am.

I think short, fast, 100% power surfs are the future, this winter. It's getting colder...

No comments:

Post a Comment