Monday 2 March 2009

March madness


And we're off...

It's been an eventful few days.

First off - The first loss of our Six Nations rugby campaign as France turned up and gave us a lesson in hard yards, at the Stade France, 21-16.
Bugger!

You can watch 'extended highlights' not that I'd say there were many highlights

I awoke to a scrambled brain on Saturday morning courtesy of one too many pints and a late night curry which in hindsight probably saved my life!

Nursing one of those annoying 'all day hangovers' I decided to buy some nurofen and take my other half to see The Killers in the CIA in Cardiff.

Before you get too excited - it's a rock venue rather than a place where secret agents hang out.

The Killers were amazing, they completely rocked the place to it's core and I'd recommend everyone goes to at least one gig. The only other gig that's been better IMO was The Foo Fighters back in 2007, and you have to hand it to front man Dave Grohl, as he really knows how to work a crowd.

ST David's Day came and went without incident.

Now onto the surf...I awoke to a text from my good friend 'the doc' in Swansea saying the swell wasn't big enough and the reefs wouldn't be firing...

I could tell that there were some negativity vibes going on and a quick check at the local wave buoy data revealed a decent local period of around 14 secs and light NW winds forecast so I called it on.

Local lensman - Mark 'Bic' Evans was due to join us to take a few snaps and 4 of us assembled on a sucky/shallow south Gower reef. Photos coming soon....

The weather was glorious, not great for photography as the sun was overhead but Bic stayed put and spent a couple of hours snapping away on the shoreline.

My surfing was abysmal, probably the worst it's been in donkeys years in fact. A combo of beer legs from Fri night and a fast responsive board that I'd not ridden in 3 weeks certainly didn't help. My last surf two weeks prior had been in a 3/2 summer suit in Morocco...all the excuses are coming out now! ;0

After about 20 minutes, I finally felt some control over leg movements and had a few nice steep drops. There were no decent rides to speak of as the wave shape was being buffeted by a WNW wind ad the light NW winds failed to appear. This made conditions a bit tricky.

Doc as usual sat deep on his mal and picked off the best waves and took a few slaps in the process. Larry and Sven sat wide on the shoulder and picked off the wider inside waves and I moved about in between.

We all snagged a few but nothing of any consequence. I donned a seaweed kelp wig and one point and smoked a piece of driftwood whilst riding the face... yes I was a bit bored!

Last but not least, I had a photo published online today, courtesy of Drift Magazine today. It's a recent pic from my trip to Maroc taken at Anka point.

You can view the original image here.

No comments:

Post a Comment