Monday 20 April 2009

Back in the saddle

Just been over to Germany to visit my inlaws so I haven't been updating the blog as there's no surf in Germany. For those non-geographers among you - it's landlocked although you can surf in the river at Munich...

I did however hop on a bike after a long absence and managed to fall off about 2km into my ride. But like a true spartan I carried on for another 8 km and then hobbled around for a day or two.

My wife was not surprised when I told her I'd done it, messing about 'slightly' and trying to go 'extreme'. I was only trying to do a nice sprag over some gravel and into a turn but hit the wrong brake and went over like a bag of spuds!

I was on a ladies bike with a flippin' bell jingling every time I rode over a rock so probably trying to overcompensate and the back brakes didn't really work anyway so in hindsight jamming on the front one was probably the most exciting option.

Next time I'll be demanding a front basket so I can carry a basic first aid kit with me ;)

I don't bruise easily for some reason so always know when I've hurt myself properly. I scored a couple of nice gashes out of each hand, one long one in my arm, assorted cuts and bruises on my back and a lump on my hip which has gradually been turning yellow this week...very slowly.

Wounded gull:


Worse than that, my father in law now considers me to be totally inept on two wheels and took great pleasure in telling friends we met en route that I was a good surfer but not a cyclist.

I spent my formative years living on a bike and was ahead of my time in my head, doing BMX stunts on my old gear less bike - this was pre 'Grifters' etc. We even used to jump friends who'd take it in turns to lie down under home-made ramps and no-one died, so I'd always considered myself quite handy on two wheels but that was 25+ yrs ago I guess...

The closest I got to my weekly salt water fix was in a thermal spa which as you'd expect uses natural hot spring water, located in the curiously named Bad Frankenhausen. The twist was that the water had no chlorine in it, just salt.

There was so much salt in the pool that swimming under water was incredibly difficult, akin to diving down in the sea with a wetsuit on and no weight belt so I was slightly embarrassed at having to come up for air halfway, whilst attempting a length underwater in a small pool!

No hands tube ride in a salty barrel with goggles on:


The closest I got to a cover up was in the water fall although I did get tubed twice in the water chute and scared a few small children with the volume of water I managed to displace, crashing out of the end of the water slide!

Surf's on the way and for once, my winter wetsuit is bone dry. Even my boots are dry? I didn't think wetsuit boots ever dried, but I can now confirm they do!

1 comment:

  1. Mart i think your Mrs has been spinning you a yarn to keen you in the house during German visits... there is surf in Germany and its not land-locked. I met some German surfers in NZ, though they do spend most of their time driving to France for surf.

    ReplyDelete