Tuesday 28 April 2009

Ice, ice, baby



Swell: 1.5 - 1.3m
Wind: Light NE, 5kts
Period: 6-7 secs
Tide: Riding, HT @ 9.15am, 9.7m

"I said stop, collaborate and listen.."
Up at 5.15am followed by the usual stumbling around in the darkness, trying to locate my pants. I then hopped in the van to find frost on the windscreen? We're nearly in May!

Scraped the thin layer of ice away and off I trundled to meet up with sven, ratter and harv at our local spot. As I sped away up the road, and around the bend - I spilled the now customary tea all over my crotch and cursed to myself - nothing new there then! ;)

Beautiful start to the day, with a nice warm sun and blue skies greeting us in the car park and light NE winds making the smoke stacks plume vertically which is always a good indicator.

Arriving at the beach we found the tide was still quite low and the peaks looked very choppy with a noticeable rip running but the waves looked fun and I squeaked into a nice 4 footer with a steep, high speed drop as the wave shot down around my ears. Mmmmm this could be okay...

daily pic from www.porthcawlsurf.co.uk:


The tide pushed in and more peaks began to fire but the rip was working overtime to keep us off anything remotely good but we snagged a few here and there.
Sven was enjoying his new favourite snack - 'falafel' or 'fall off full' as I prefer to pronounce it and was flying off his fish left, right and centre much to our and his amusement. He was like the Fall Guy and had fine tuned his face plant to perfection. LOL

Aggers was out the there already with the rat, picking off a few nice ones on his matchstick firewire quad which I'd test driven, on Friday and enjoyed. It was surprisingly floaty for a thin board and nice and loose.

Ratter had a few nice lefts including one classic OTL / OTA combo (off the lip/off the ass) which saw him blast a nice plume of spray off the back only to blast an even bigger one as his ass made contact with the wave as he disembarked.

Aran was gliding along on his new twinnie snagging some lovely long lefts and catching everything with alarming ease...I will have to examine that board of his!

It was one of those sessions that could turn perfect but didn't but showed occasional glimmers of perfection with the odd 4ft A frame peak coming through. I slipped into a couple of nice sized set waves and managed to pig dog my way into barrel territory only to feel my bonzer sliding up the face in front of me and over with the lip. Close but no cigar today.

The sniper eased off and sven began to find his feet at last. I shared a lovely left with harv whose off to maroc tomorrow so it felt right that I should drop in on him one last time ;0

Harv snagged a few nice waves today so I hope he scores some bigger stuff on his trip. We've managed to convince him to say no when he means yes in French so it should be fine :)

The tide began to get a bit high but the waves turned glassy but it was time to call it a day. I snagged a nice right hand set wave, hollow and around 3ft so that was my ticket in.

Great start to the day even though none of us had a particularly good surf. The vibe and the weather made up for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment