Friday 18 February 2011

Classic days

Saturday
Wave Period: 16.8 seconds
Winds: Moderate E going SE
Swell: 1.5m
Swell Direction: 259 degrees, spread 12-25

Sunday
Wave Period: 14 seconds
Winds: SE, variable but mainly light
Swell: 1.2m
Swell Direction: 259 degrees, spread 20-30

There's been lot's going on here recently with back to back days of classic surf hitting the south coast of Wales. It's more than made up for the disastrous start to the winter we had back in December 2010 with weeks of nothingness.

My back is still too sore to surf on so I dusted off the old 'photographic machine' and got up up early, seeking out perfection. I'd booked 2 days off specifically to go surfing but taking photos of surf is the next best thing I guess.

I didn't have to travel too far to fin perfection though as it was on my doorstep. I couldn't be bothered driving for hours (Porlock, Lynmouth, Caravan Point etc) when it was so good locally, and there were certain spots I was keen to capture.

The surf ranged from 3-8ft but one thing was consistent throughout - the quality and wave shape. Yesterday morning, Rest Bay was about as good as it gets with mechanical peeling waves throwing barrels every which way. The wind was light offshore and even the sun was shining.

There are some spots around here that I have surfed religiously for years on end but never found time to photograph them as I'm too busy surfing them, so it was nice to redress the balance.

I did find it hard watching my old local going off yesterday at 4-6ft+ though and willing surfers to paddle harder and catch a few big ones!

Driving around in the mornings I also spied waves I'd never seen break before - wild sandbars miles out at sea in the Bristol Channel throwing up hollow surf-able waves, providing you had a boat handy.

I hope you enjoy the pics and I'm hoping to sell one or two as I'm a bit skint at the moment! So if you're interested, drop me a line in the comments or email me at mart.aaron@gmail.com :)

If you're on Facebook then you can see more photos here.

Other stuff before I forget - we had a really useful AGM meeting at the local surf club on Tuesday evening and are actively looking to recruit new members, get some fresh ideas and bring the club kicking and screaming into the new Millenia!

I've been appointed 'media something or other' to the club committee so will be voicing my opinions and ideas regularly but it would nice to see some new faces and 'old faces' coming along for a beer and a chat. We should have some good 'fun' events lined up this summer.

So if you're wondering what we do, look us up on Facebook - WCSC or pop along on March 1 at 7.30pm in the Salthouse Bar, Porthcawl.

The Severn Bore is set to fire this Sunday with a 4* Bore and good swell running but the wind is going to be SE...

Expect the usual crowds and carnage though but with the forecast looking so nice, perhaps most surfers will opt for some salt this weekend instead?

Here are some low-res versions of some of the pics I've taken over the last 48 hours. Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment