Monday 14 February 2011

The Elusive Tsunami - a weekend of comps

Got up early on Saturday to a solid swell pounding the South Coast. There was a 14ft swell and decent period so I checked the point and was surprised to find no-one on it. The sets were swinging wider than normal but it was nudging 4ft+ on sets and I was keen to see if my ankle would hold for the Tsunami Cup on Sunday.

I decided to save my energy and attempt the infamous rock jump. I'd not done this one before so clambered over a few jagged rocks to find my spot.

I have to say it was pretty sketchy! and I aborted a few times as waves came crashing through but eventually committed and paddled hard out back to deeper water. I'd saved my arms a long paddle out anyway and had it to myself for a while.

Harv and Dan soon joined me and a few more as the tide pushed in including Blods who'd I'd phoned earlier and said he wasn't coming due to dad duties but there he was! I also bumped into Sam Moore who I recognised from my pics from Thursday so I'll post some more up of you tonight Sam (if you're reading this).

The point began to do it's thing after a while and a few more of the local crew arrived. It wasn't heaving but the waves weren't classic either but I snagged one or nice waves so was happy enough. Any wave that allows to hit 5 or 6 reo's on the trot can't be bad!

The Elusive Welsh Open comp was on all day at Rest Bay and was absolutely pumping by all accounts with some solid 8ft waves being ridden. Alex Morris' keg was still being talked about on Sunday by some of the competitors, so good to see the Pembs boys flying the flag.

Here are a few pics from local photographer Claire Beach:

Alex setting up for his barrel:


Alex coming out:


Greg Owen tearing it up:


Local lad George Schofield showed off his local knowledge and won the event:

1 George Schofield
2 Ryan Thomas
3 Harry Cromwell
4 Max Tucker

Sunday loomed and it was time for the Tsunami Cup - a charity comp organised by the Christian Surfers and WCSC.

The 8am check in time was optimistic after a Welsh rugby victory against the Scots and a few of us gathered around in the rain and mud to help set up. The comp eventually began around 10.30am when the wind had eased and the rain lightened a little.

The surf wasn't as big as Sunday but still fairly solid with no real lulls making for a hard paddle out.

Adie was as ever present making the trip up from Pembs with his mega lens to take a few shots but I think he missed my best wave right in front of him! ;)

Adie dressed in his all weather gear:


The Open heats went first and I managed to scrape a second in my first heat. I don't remember much as I was shattered after the paddle out but caught one decent right and longish left that I didn't really want but figured it would hold up and let me work the face in a half arsed fashion!

15 mins later after a quick gulp of water and some cake I was back out paddling :(

The surf was a good 4-5ft and pretty heavy on the head as I repeatedly found out in heat 2.

My tactic was to sit on a big right hand peak and try to snag some bigger ones but all I ended up doing was getting slammed on 3 consecutive waves.

The other groms in my heat all seemed to having better luck over on the lefts although one of them did lose his hood and board on one wave as his leash snapped!

Eventually I snagged one that held up and I managed 2 reo's and a floater at the end. I decided to head in after that as it was going to take me 10 mins to get out back again and I figured there was only 5 mins left!

Me on what initially looked like a good right hander turned into the close out from hell. Thanks to Adie at www.framesphotography.co.uk for the pic!



Too little too late, so I bowed out in the semis but to be honest I don't think I was fit enough to paddle back out again if I'd scraped into the final so it was a relief!

I propose that in future us 30 somethings have jetski assistance! ;)

I then went home and proceeded to fall down the stairs whilst carrying Fin, fecking my back up in the process...

Fin was okay - I managed to keep him upright as I fell but had no hands to cushion my fall, so bounced and then landed right on the stair step in my kidneys towards the bottom. Ouch.

It's a bit like Groundhog Day for injuries in my house at the moment only last week it was my ankle. I've booked Wednesday and Thursday off for surf this week, so may well be taking photos again.

No comments:

Post a Comment