Monday 21 February 2011

The swell run continues

Well I thought 2010 was a good winter but 2011 seems to be going one better currently!

Waves all weekend again and offshore winds with a good wave period?!

I was down the beach for a walk with family & friends on Saturday and watched a few guys messing about in fun 2-3ft glassy stuff.

The sun was out and it felt like a spring day until we were swamped by sea fog which came in thick and fast. Within 10 minutes you couldn't even see the sea but surfers continued arriving and I expect it got rather nice just before high tide.

Harv did an early at the local and reported 3ft glassy tubes so that'll be 2ft then! ;)

Half way along the beach we came across a weird bubbling pool which resembled a load of trapped sand eels in a puddle but was actually more like a hot spring without the heat.

Apparently they're quite common down there - although I've never seen it before and it's caused by fresh water being trapped under a layer of gravel under the sand. I'm a bit light on the science there but it's a rough explanation.

Sunday continued to pump although I didn't see any surf but the buoy data was 1.5m, 13-14 secs period and offshore winds so I imagine it was rather good. Werg reported 4-5ft at the local spot and really nice until the wind picked up.

I went 'swalking' instead (swimming/walking)and had a good time with antje & fin down at the local pool.

It's ooking good out there this morning with plenty of lines at high tide and clean offshore conditions again - we've had about 6 days on the trot now!

There's more swell on the way this week but we're set to lose the se winds shortly as the wind veers more sw from weds onwards and then nw for the weekend.

I just hope my back continues to mend so I can get in at the weekend. Fingers crossed x

No comments:

Post a Comment