Friday 18 June 2010

Was sup?

It was only a matter of time before the Americans began to kick some ass. Forget BP - this is serious! ;)

Interesting read over on surfermag which outlines new regulations being brought in which will classify SUP's as 'vessels' putting them in the same category as wave ski's and kayaks which I believe is absolutely the right thing to do.

I'm not sure we have the same rules and regs over here though...

For those who want the summary:

"On April 1, 2010, the Orange Coast District passed an order that would prohibit the launch of standup paddleboards at San Onofre Surf Beach from Dog Patch to the Northwest border of the Military Enlisted Men’s Beach as well as in areas of Crystal Cove State Park and Doheny State Beach".

"Standup Paddlers will still be permitted to launch in the area between Trail 6 and Dog Patch at San Onofre as well as south of Thor’s Hammer in Doheny, but must stay 1,000 feet beyond the high tide line in non-designated areas.

"Additionally, because standup paddleboards have been officially classified as “vessels” by the Coast Guard (a grouping dating back to 2008 that includes kayaks, surf skis, and wave skis), they must remain at a distance of 100 feet from swimmers and surfers, which ultimately makes the act of riding a wave that much more difficult for standup paddlers – a ruling many surfers find appealing".

I never understood what all the fuss until I had one particularly nice session at the river mouth ruined by two SUPPISTS intent on hogging every single set wave that came my way. I say came my wave but they covered such a wide area so quickly that they hogged every single set wave - period.

Will the sun finally set for SUP riders in the UK?


They patrolled the bay like seasoned prison wardens, covering vast distances with just a few strokes of their paddle. Even if you saw a set they were already back in time to snag it before you could shout "stand up paddle boarder!".

Eventually enough was enough and I began to try and hassle for my share of the waves. I even bagged one eventually but it's not easy hassling an 11 foot board that moves so damn fast and can sit so deep. They even get to spot the sets appearing first as they're so high up.

The only way for this to work is for surfers to evolve. No longer can we be selfish predatory wave hunters. The shark must become the hyena.

We must learn to hunt in packs and take it in turns at riding the spoils as man on man - a decent SUPPER will always win.

Don't get me wrong - I think in the right hands and in the right conditions they're fine. I've even considered getting one myself for flat days and for fishing from but in decent, crowded surf - do they really have a place in the lineup?

I don't think so.

Laird Hamilton has a lot to answer for and not just for his appearance as the villainous pro surfer in North Shore.

You can tell it's been flat for a while eh? ;)

Low pressure coming in from around the middle/end of next week so I should have some surf to talk about soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment