Tuesday 1 June 2010

Asturias

Well, the surf pretty much sucked the whole time I was out in Spain but we had a great trip anyway.

I love the area and we spent our days exploring amazing beaches and coves and discovering all sorts - brontosaurus footprints, secret caves, lovely seafood and amazing views.

The day we arrived and Rodilles looked okay, nothing huge but there were swell lines. As we'd just arrived and had to unpack and sort out jnr, my missus didn't really want me buggering off so I waited for day 2 - flatish...and so it continued.

Rodilles:


Clean 1-2ft in the mornings followed by onshore winds in the afternoons and increasing winds in the evenings which surprised me!

By mid week I was desperate so had a dip at Playa de Vega- a spot I remembered surfing some years ago on a surf trip.

It was tiny but I snagged a few 2 footers. The sun was out and the waters were crystal clear but still chilly - colder than Wales!

Fin enjoying the ocean:


The views from our apartment over the Picos mountain range and estuary flowing into Rodilles were breathtaking though and changed all day long with the different stages of the tide and day.

We were surrounded by nature on all sides with wild boar and deer below us and black kites and hawks circling in the skies above.

Fresh lemons were a nice accompaniment to the 'Cruz Campo' which I regretted buying, especially as the local cider festivals were in full swing...

You'd buy a bottle and the waiter would pour. They'd pour from a height - overhead with the bottle.

What didn't hit the floor, made it into the glass. The technique is known as 'escanciar un culĂ­n'

The small, measure of cider is then given to the customer who proceeds to drink half and throw the rest on the floor?!

Apparently it's done to get bubbles into it which only last a short time...

My lad 'Fin' has well and truly discovered the beach and went berserk whenever we neared a beach which was every single day so he went in regularly up to his knees for some paddling.

I've now learnt that babies don't really feel the cold so pulled him out once his feet turned red! ;)

I've worked out that for every beach shown on the map, there are about 4 more tucked away around the corner. Northern Spain has so much potential - it hurts.

And whilst I was away, Wales enjoyed 3-4 days of hot sunny weather and waves! Can't win 'em all...

Room with a view at sunset - low tide:


This estuary would fill up each tide and was the same colour as the sea with sandy beaches along it's banks. Why do we get lumbered with low tide stinky mud in Wales!? ;0

It's not cheap though. One seafood lunch for two cost me 70 Euros! And be warned - the locals don't speak English, so it's well worth brushing up on your "buenos dias" before you go. On the plus side, you'll not see any tourists!

My fav saying was "porque pork?" I say 'saying'...It was actually something just I said, in my best Spanish accent - to keep myself amused whilst driving around.

Can't wait to go back. I'll be taking my fishing rod next time though - just in case!

No comments:

Post a Comment